June gloom is over and the summer heat continues throughout Southern California. If you are looking to cool down and enjoy a refreshing summer treat, why not check out some of our drink recipes made with tap water? Tap water in California is heavily regulated and safe to consume. It is the perfect ingredient for any recipe!
Each year, the California State Water Resources Control Board requires public water agencies to provide consumers with a consumer confidence report by July 1. Concerned about the quality of your local tap water? Visit your local water agency’s website and learn more about your drinking water by downloading the most recent consumer confidence report. As mandated by law, microbial, organic chemical, radioactive and inorganic contaminants; and pesticides and herbicides found are published in the report. The Water Resources Control Board and the Environmental Protection Agency ensure that tap water is safe to drink by creating and regulating drinking water standards.
Summertime is the season for refreshing lemonade. Our recipe creates this classic beverage with an added twist.
- 8 cups tap water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups lemon juice (approx. 10 small lemons)
- 1 lime
- Mint leaves
- Bring water to a boil in saucepan.
- Once water is boiling, add sugar to saucepan.
- Stir sugar until dissolved.
- Once sugar has dissolved, let water cool.
- Add lemon juice to water mixture, stir.
- Cut lime in half, squeeze a splash of lime juice to mixture.
- Pour mixture into carafe filled with ice.
- Stir and serve.
- Add 1-2 mint leaves per glass (optional).
A watermelon contains 92% water! This tasty treat is perfect as a poolside refresher.
- 4 ½ cups watermelon (cubed/seedless)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups ice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (optional)
- Place half of cubed watermelon in blender.
- Add 1 cup of ice cubes in blender.
- Add remaining watermelon.
- Add sugar, lime juice., blend.
- Add remaining ice cubes, blend.
- Serve with a slice of watermelon!
Passion Fruit Ice Tea
Ice tea is a refreshing beverage that can be paired with a summer salad. Our passion fruit iced tea recipe is infused with berries for extra antioxidants and an added punch.
- 8 cups tap water
- 8 passion fruit tea bags
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup black berries
- Bring water to a boil in tea kettle.
- Turn water off.
- Seep tea bags in water for 15 minutes.
- Fill pitcher with ice.
- Pour hot tea into pitcher slowly, adding ice as existing ice melts.
- Squeeze half a lemon into pitcher.
- Add berries, stir, enjoy!
The cranberry spritzer adds subtle flavor to water straight from your tap.
- 5 cups tap water
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 3 sliced limes
- Sugar (optional to taste)
- Pour tap water into pitcher.
- Add cranberry juice.
- Stir, add lime, add ice.
- Add sugar (optional to taste)
Fruit Infused Water
The human body is made up of roughly 60 percent of water. Each day, humans should drink approximately eight glasses of water, about half a gallon. Fruit infused water is an effortless way to spice up a glass of refreshing tap water.
- Fruit (lemon, lime, orange, berries, cucumbers, you choose!)
- Tap water
- Pour water into pitcher/cup.
- Add fruit to taste.
Give our tap water recipes a try and let us know what you think. We love to hear from our readers. Do you have drink recipes that you make with tap water? Share with us below.